Home Sports FA confirm Euro 2020 stance over coronavirus fears after UEFA declaration

FA confirm Euro 2020 stance over coronavirus fears after UEFA declaration

0

The Football Association is monitoring the potential impact of the coronavirus outbreak on this summer’s European Championships amid a wave of sporting postponements on the continent.

Wembley will host seven matches – the most of any of the 12 venues across Europe – including both semi-finals and the final on July 12.

As such, London is set to see an influx of over 100,000 fans from across Europe amid rising concerns about the quantity of fans travelling in and out of the United Kingdom.

A spokesperson from the FA exclusively told Mirror Sport: “Obviously, the safety and security of everyone attending our events is our first priority.

“The FA will take all advice and guidance and continue to evaluate the situation, alongside our partners and stakeholders.”

The announcement comes after UEFA Vice President Michele Uva admitted the Euros could be impacted on Tuesday.

He told Italian outlet RAI: “We are at the waiting stage. We are monitoring country by country, and football must follow the orders of the individual countries.

“The sporting path will only be closed if the situation gets worse.”

Italy, one of the Euro 2020 co-hosts, saw top flight league matches postponed last weekend due to an increased number of cases of the virus in two northern regions.

The country has the third most cases of the virus of any nation, with 287 victims so far and seven deaths.

Italy is scheduled to host four matches at the tournament – which runs from 12 June until 12 July – at Rome’s Stadio Olimpico. These include the first game of the championships and a group stage fixture with Wales on 21 June.

Should the coronavirus fail to be contained, the Euros schedule is likely to be impacted, as continental sporting competitions have already been effected.

This Thursday’s Europa League clash between Inter Milan and Ludogorets is to be played behind closed doors and last Sunday’s Women’s Six Nations clash between Italy and Scotland was postponed.

Inter Milan’s home game with Sampdoria was one of four Serie A ties postponed last weekend but the San Siro was due to welcome more than 600 fans from Razgrad, Bulgaria this week.

After Ludogorets made an enquiry to UEFA about the situation, European football’s governing body said they were talking with “local authorities on the matter” and made the decision on Monday to prevent fans from attending the match.

Meanwhile, Scotland are in talks with Italy to reschedule their Women’s Six Nations match, originally scheduled to be played in Legano, Lombardy.

The match was called off after Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said: “Minister of Sport [Vincenzo] Spadafora intends to suspend all sporting events planned for Sunday in the Veneto and Lombardy regions.”

Source: Read Full Article

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here